Name: Park Jimin
Division: Men Singles
Representing: South Korea
- He skates with his twin sister since age 8
- His home rink is in Busan, even though he had been training in Detroit, USA before
- Had suffered a major injury once, which put him off the ice for almost two years
- He is also a dancer, hence he choreographs his program by himself
- Always do his exhibition program with his sister
- Three consecutive times World Championship gold-medalist, four times Grand Prix Final gold-medalist, and 2014 Winter Olympic gold-medalist
- He decides to take a break for 2017-2018 season, and many people make a rumor that he will be retiring soon
Name: Park Minha
Division: Female Singles
Representing: South Korea
- Park Jimin’s twin sister. Like his brother, she starts to skate since age 8
- Her current home rink is in Busan, even though she had been training in Detroit, USA before
- She had never suffered any major injuries, but need to deal with her anxiety instead (Jimin also has one, but it isn’t as worst as hers)
- Most of her choreographies are done by Jimin, but she also likes to throw some ideas
- She likes to choreograph their exhibition program instead
- Two times World Championship silver-medalist, one times Grand Prix Final gold-medalist, and 2014 Winter Olympic silver-medalist
- Her dream is to do pair skate with her twin brother
Name: Jeon Jungkook
Division: Men Singles
Representing: South Korea
- He started to skate at age 5, but decided to train for competitive figure skating at 9
- He was 16 when he made his debut at Senior Division
- He looks up to Jimin a lot despite them being competitor
- His best friend, Min Yoongi, often help him to make or choose music for his skating program
- He used to train in Canada and Japan, and had changed coach two times. Last season he had home rink in Seoul, but he moves it to Busan this season
- He got into the top six at 2016-2017 Grand Prix Final and took bronze at World Championship. He is a late-bloomer that just started to get recognized
- His goal is to take a higher spot on the podium this year. He is a hardworker who choose to climb slowly but surely
Name: Kim Taehyung/Taylor Kim
Division: Men Singles
Representing: United States of America
- He started to skate at age 7, along with his childhood friend, Jung Hoseok
- Born and raised in Detroit, USA. His whole family (including his grandmother) also live there
- Comes from family of figure skater. His parents used to compete as a pair skater, while his grandma used to be an ice dancer
- He used to visit Busan during his childhood holiday because his mother’s family live there
- His home rink is in Detroit, USA. Used to train with both Jimin and Minha
- Two times U.S. Nationals gold-medalist, one times Grand Prix Final silver-medalist, and one times World Championship bronze-medalist. However, he self-destructed during 2016 World Championship and landed on 10th place
- Notoriously known as someone arrogant and ambitious. He doesn’t have any skaters friend and always prefer to be alone during competition, gala, and banquet
Name: Kim Namjoon
Occupation: Music Major Student/Ice Rink Manager
- His parents own an ice rink in Busan, and he often help them to manage it and work part-time there
- Park Sibs’s best friend since childhood, along with Kim Seokjin
- Really bad at skating even though his parents own an ice rink. He once slipped and broke his arm, so he swear to never skate anymore
- Despite his lacking ability at skating, he understand skating terms perfectly and even know how to calculate the score
- Sometimes he help the siblings to arrange either their music or their program composition
- Fluent at English, and he teach the siblings a lot during off-season
- His girlfriend is a designer and they met at figure skating competition
Name: Jung Nana
- A fan of figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics
- Her favorite skaters are the siblings. She met Namjoon first time during 2014 South Korean Figure Skating Championships
- Namjoon was the one who introduced her to the siblings. Since 2015, she starts to design their costume for competition
- She and Namjoon have been dating since two years ago. Now, they always watch the competition together
- End up best-friending Minha, and she gets to hear a lot of Namjoon’s secret from her
- Aside from designing, she also like to take photograph and always bring her camera to ice rink
- Namjoon teach her a lot about skating terms and scoring system. Yet, she got rejected when she asked Namjoon to skate together with her
Name: Kim Seokjin
- His parents run a big company that sponsors many athletes including Jimin, Minha, and Jungkook
- Jimin and Minha’s step-brother. His parents adopt the twins when they still 3 years old, and three of them immediately become close to each other
- He works as Park Sibs’ manager as well as helping them to connect with other sponsors out there, so he is also fluent in English
- Namjoon’s best friend. They become close since both of them are bad at skating but hanging out at ice rink a lot
- His favorite aspect from figure skating is the Program Component part (a.k.a choreography and music interpretation). He will becomes talkative if he thinks the judges underscored his favorite skaters
- Nags a lot during competition, especially when the twins start drinking during banquet
- He also has high tolerance for alcohol and would like to drink, but can’t because of his responsibilities as manager
Name: Min Yoongi
Occupation: Music Producer
- Jeon Jungkook’s best friend. Jungkook sees him as a realiable big brother while Yoongi always proud with whatever achievements Jungkook made
- They live together in a same apartment since Jungkook made his senior debut 4 years ago
- A genius at music and he composes/produces a lot of pieces for any kind of purposes including skating
- Often helps Jungkook with his music, and he also used to help Jimin
- Knows nothing about figure skating even though Jungkook already tried to explain it to him
- Despite that, he also knows that Jungkook is very passionate about the sport and supports him
- He can be very self-centered and only thinks about himself and his music.
Name: Jung Hoseok
- Kim Taehyung’s childhood friend as well as the only person that can stand Taehyung’s attitude
- He used to learn skate with Taehyung during holiday, but decided to be a dancer instead
- Has won a lot of dancing competitions, both national and international one
- When he doesn’t busy competing, he spends his time teaching a dance class
- If he and Taehyung coincidentally compete in the same country, both of them will make a plan to sneak out at night and hang-out. They mostly meet when they are in Japan or U.S.
- His personality is the total opposite of Taehyung. He is friendly and cheerful, and many people don’t understand why he can be close with Taehyung
- Has agreed to choreograph for Taehyung’s 2017-18 skating season program
Figure Skating Terms and Competition
Basic Terms and Techniques
- Ice skates shoes
- Toe-pick: The front part of skating shoes’ blades.
- Edge: The rest of the blades in skating shoes. A skates shoes has two edge in the blades, inside and outside edge.
- Step-sequence: One of the figure skating element. A movement, following a prescribed pattern on the ice. Basically, it’s kinda like the “dancing” while moving part in figure skating. Figure skaters may used different steps, turns, and rotations. There are three kind of step-sequence pattern:
- Straight: from one side of rink to another in straight line.
- Circular: making an oval around the ice rink.
- Serpentine: making the alphabet ‘S’.
- Jumps: There are six kinds of jump in figure skating, divided into two categories, toe jumps and edge jumps
- Toe jumps: done by using the toe-pick part of the blades. Jumps in this category are toe loop, flip, and Lutz.
- Edge jumps: done by using the edge part of the blades. Jumps in this category are Salchow, Axel, and, loop.
- Single, double, triple, and quadruple refer to the amount of the spin(s) in the air.
- So triple toe loop means a toe loop jump with three times of spin in the air before landing.
(written in the order of the competitions; figure skating competitions usually start at September/October)
- Grand Prix Series: consists of six qualifying events and the final. Every skaters must compete in two qualifying events
- Skate America, USA
- Skate Canada International, Canada
- Cup of China, China
- Trophée de France, France
- Rostelecom Cup, Russia
- NHK Trophy, Japan
- GPF (Grand Prix Final): Only top six skaters from each division compete here. Location changes yearly.
- Nationals: not every countries have national championship for ice skating. Few of the well-known ones are Russian, U.S., Japan, and South Korea.
- European Championships: competitions for all countries in Europe continents only
- Four Continents Championships (4CC): competitions for all countries except the Europeans, made as the equivalent of European Championships
- World Championships: international competitions for all countries
- Winter Olympics: figure skating is a part of Winter Olympics which is held once in four years
Terms in Competitions
- Short Program (SP): the first phase of skating competition; a program in which the skater must follow the requirements from International Skating Union (ISU)
- Free Skate (FS): the second and last phase of skating competition; a program which is free from requirements and usually used as a tie-breaker in score
- Kiss and Cry: a place where skaters and their coach(es) waiting for the score after the program
- TES (Technical Element Score): consists the technical aspect of skating such as jumps, spins, and step-sequence
- PCS (Program Component Score): consists the choreography and interpretation aspect of the skating
- Division: There are four divisions in figure skating championship, namely Men Singles, Female Singles, Pair Skating, and Ice Dance
- Junior and Senior: refer to age-level of ice skaters
- Junior-level: start from age 13 until 19 (or 21 for male in pair skate and ice dance)
- Senior-level: start from age 15 and up. A figure skater can make his/her debut on senior level when they reach 15, but they also may remain in junior-level championships until they hit 19 (or 21 for male in pair skate and ice dance)
- Ice resurfacing time: figure skating championships are held in a group of skaters (usually consists of six person). Every one or two group (at the most), there will be a break for ice resurfacing which is basically clearing and smoothing the ice’s surface to avoid accidents.
- Exhibition (EX): a program performed by the winner of competition during gala night
- Banquet: refer to the after-competitions party held after every championships
Music for Skating Program and Trivia
Kim Taehyung; 2017-18 skating season
[SP] Warriors by Imagine Dragons. To be honest, I don’t know why I choose this song either. Since Taehyung’s character will be arrogant and ambitious, I imagine him to pick a song that sounds strong and matches his personality. It’s a bit difficult to search, but then I remember that one of the medalist at World Championship this year used a Spiderman-themed song lol. So I just googled “superhero theme song” and this song popped out and it turns out that the melody (as well as the climax parts in the song) matches the choreography that I make for Taehyung.
[FS] You Only Live Once~Everlasting by Wataru Hatano. This is one of Yuri!!! On Ice soundtrack that I used (along with History Maker and Stammi Vicino). Since the fanfic itself will be based on that anime, I think it’s just right to also used the soundtrack. There are two version of this song: the original one in anime and the everlasting version. I personally choose the everlasting one since I though it will matches Taehyung’s conditions more (of him being defeated and currently try to climb the podium again). Also, even if this song sounds like something that isn’t fit with Taehyung’s character, let me give you a little spoiler: Hoseok is the one who chooses the song.
Jeon Jungkook; 2017-18 skating season
[SP] Begin by BTS. Because why not? Since it’s still BTS’ fanfiction, I kinda want to put one of their song into the skating routine. And in my opinion, Begin really matches Jungkook well (character-wise, goal-wise, and all). It’s his solo song too, and since the story will feature Yoongi as a music producer, I will make two of them working together for this song. So yes, Jungkook has a lot of pride on this song. After all, he will skates into it in international competition.
[FS] Summer (from Four Seasons) by Antonio Vivaldi. Before I start to contemplate about Jimin’s music, I was thinking to give Hope and Legacy for Jungkook’s FS. But I think that song matches Jimin more, so I start to look for another song. I want him to pick a classical song (which is later re-arranged by Yoongi), with some kind of determination like “it’s classic but I will make it strong”. I rewatched a bunch of ice skating program, and found that one of my favorite Japanese skater used to skate for Winter from Four Seasons. And yes, I listened to all four seasons and I decided to pick Summer as Jungkook’s. The reason? Well, I can’t give too much spoiler here, right?
Park Minha; 2017-18 skating season
[SP] Hell Hath No Such Fury by David Chappell. If you read my Seven Sins!AU, you will find this song as one of the soundtrack. Actually, Hell Hath No Such Fury is a song that I accidentally found while reading a Yuri!!! On Ice fanfiction. I loved this song almost right away, and it sparks a lot of inspiration for both Seven Sins!AU and this AU. I won’t give the detailed description of why Minha picks this song, but at least let me tell you that it has something to do with years of hate and anger inside her heart.
[FS] Fix You by Coldplay. My favorite song, ever. Maybe you will recognize how much I mention or use this song in my fiction, but Fix You is truly magical and healing for me. Also, another favorite skaters of mine, the Shibutani Siblings (or basically Park Sibs in real life) used this song for their 2015-16 program. Of course there will be differences in choreography since both of them are ice dancer while Minha is single skater. But this song matches her feeling towards her brother a lot (and also matches the plot), and that’s why I picked this song (again and again lol).
Park Jimin; 2016-17 skating season
(Please notice that songs listed here are for 2016-17 season. Jimin takes a break in 2017-18 season, hence he don’t have any songs for the next season.)
[SP] History Maker by Dean Fujioka. This is the opening theme of Yuri!!! On Ice, and since the lyric is in English, I think many people will be able to relate to this. Just like the title suggests, History Maker refers to Jimin being a three-times consecutive gold medalist at World Championship. His achievements are based on Victor Nikiforov’s at the anime, and people kinda see him as a legend in figure skating world.
[FS] Hope and Legacy by Joe Hisaishi. I picked this song based on Yuzuru Hanyu’s FS last season. For your information, he did break the world record by using this song and it’s such a beautiful piece of program. That’s why I end up give this song to Jimin, because in this AU, Jimin is the one who win the competition and break the world record. Jimin broke the world record with both his SP and FS, hence it make his total score as the current highest in men singles division.
Park Siblings; 2016-17 skating season
[EX] Duetto: Stammi Vicino (Yuri On Ice Original Soundtrack). The English title of this song is Stay Close to Me. Stammi Vicino is a song about soulmate based on Greek Mythology. There are two version of this song, the Aria (or kinda like the solo one) and Duetto (which is mean for two people finding each other). Since I already plotted Park Sibs’ background in this AU and how much they love to skate together, I think this song suits both of them perfectly.
Skating Program Playlist
Duetto: Stammi Vicino
Shoma Uno’s Winter (from Four Seasons)
Maia and Alex Shibutani’s Fix You
Yuzuru Hanyu’s Hope and Legacy
History Maker Choreography from Yuri!!! On Ice Opening